Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Commentary: You Wanna Know a Secret?

I'm not sure about you, but I love secrets. (I don't like it when people are keeping secrets from me)...but if I can be in on one, oh yeah, that's the stuff. I think as a child it was fun when a friend would tell me a secret and then I'd tell everyone about it...just so that THEY would know that I knew. However, after that it wasn't a secret anymore, and of course the major byproduct was the loss of trust from a friend. Now that I am an adult, I understand and value trust better. When someone shares something personal with me, as a "secret", I see it more as a gift and honor that they trusted me enough with something so valuable.

After marrying Chris, we became each other's "secret keepers". It's nice to share a secret between just us. I think three favorite secrets that we have shared together were each time I was pregnant with one of our children. We loved to keep the secret between us for as long as possible. It was always fun to know that we were the only ones who "knew". There is something special about having a person you are close to and can confide in.

Yesterday in our new series, Where the Water is Deep, I learned that God has secrets too...but not the kind of secret that he wants to keep from me. God wants me to be "in" on his secrets. (Yay!) As we become dissatisfied with just getting our toes wet, and we jump into the deep water with God, it is there he shares his secrets. In Psalm 25:14 it says, "The secret of the Lord is for those who fear him, and He will make them know His covenant." The Message Bible says it this way, "God-friendship is for God-worshipers; they are the ones He confides in."

I would never expect a stranger or mere acquaintance to share their inmost secrets with me. (Unless they were lying on a couch and paying me an hourly fee.) Secrets are between close friends, and I see now that if I want God to whisper his secrets in my ear, then I must have friendship with Him. I hope you want to be his friend too...He has lots to talk to you about.

No comments: