Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Commentary- My Assignment

Hmmm…didn’t I just wipe down that counter? Wait, don’t use that toilet, I just cleaned it! What? It’s mealtime AGAIN? Let’s just eat over this napkin…

In all honesty--there’s a part of my portfolio that I dislike. I mostly love what I do, but I am included in the 59% not actively engaged at work when it comes to the laundry. And I’m definitely a part of the additional 14% that is actively disengaging from their job when it comes to mopping the floors!

Yesterday was week 2 in our January Series My Life, My Mission. We focused on My Assignment. I'm an "at-home mom". You might have different job. Do you ever become dissatisfied? Maybe it’s mundane, or you’re frustrated with people. We learned yesterday that work is important to God. God worked. He created Adam and gave him work. Work is eternal. So even though we live for the dream of retirement in a warm place, by a beach, sipping an iced tea…it (work) will not be over.
So, how can I transform my perspective of work? The "easy" answer: stop viewing it as a curse, and start seeing it as an assignment. Sometimes I feel like my work has no value. No one notices that I picked up the house today, did some laundry, or organized a closet. Sometimes I feel like I’m not getting anywhere-just toiling. And I’m going to get to do it all again tomorrow! But a key statement from our talk yesterday was this,

“The value of your job isn’t the title or the assignment, but in whom you work for.”

That changes everything. “Whatever you do, do it whole heartedly as though you were working for your real master and not merely for humans.” -Col. 3:23

Now that I sense that the work that I do is a call from God, I gain new energy and purpose from the ONE who called me…and not from the job.

God, help me to embrace your calling and find joy in my assignment, as my life and my work is driven by a passion to honor you.

No comments: