Thursday, November 19, 2009

Monday Commentary- Mirror, Mirror

Nuggets from Sunday's talk at CM, and my application. This was written on monday, but hey...it's been a hectic week.

I am, in random order, a:

daughter.sister.wife.teacher.mother.friend.leader

………IDENTITY
Who am I? How do I comprehend my distinctiveness when I’m labeled so many different ways? I was given a name at birth that will be different than the name on my grave marker. So, how do I live my life without experiencing a case of mistaken identity?

I strip away the overlay of my roles. I fold back the coverings that are projections others have placed on me. I peel ALL OF IT to find the core of who I really am. I remove the film from the mirror, so I am able to recognize the reflection. After disposing of all the external layers, I am able to see that my true identity depends upon my closest relationship.

Sovereign God put His gifts in me for his purposes. I am here to serve his will. In the words of Paul, “I am a servant of Christ Jesus”.

Galatians 5:13 says, “You have been called to live in freedom … But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature [self-centeredness]. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love.”

The moment I surrendered my life to Christ, I took on a new identity. I became a new creation. It is impossible for me to be a Christ Follower and also extract being his servant.

“God, may I accept that I am not my own. Help me to not selfishly satisfy my own desires. May be identified as a servant of Christ, let my life bring glory to you alone.”

No comments: